In Mid-2018 I did a weekend trip to New Zealand, below are a few of the shots from an overnight trip form Auckland.
- Go to Europe
- Read 12 Books
- Save 20% of After Tax Income
- Catch up on two years of trip blogging and photo editing
At the start of this year I set myself four goals:
Read 12 Books
I read 20 books! This is twice as many as 2018
Make a 5% return on savings and investments
I made a 5.2% average return (unweighted, includes investments held for less than 6 months) on my investments. Savings accounts much less as repeated rate cuts hurt my savings growth.
Travel to USA or Singapore/Asia
I went to Japan!
Buy a Mazda 3
I paid for my own wedding instead!
Like most years, what was expected at the start of the year and what transpired was very different. That said, 2019, despite a number of stressors, was a great year. Bring on the next decade and new adventures in marital bliss!
Recently I found myself in a situation where I wanted to bring in a specific upstream commit into a forked repository. Although these repos share a common history, the two repos had diverged enough that it wasn’t a straight-forward cherry-pick between branches. Instead, with clones of the two repositories I managed to cherry-pick as follows:
/.git format-patch -k -1 --stdout | git am -3 -k
To complicate things further, a few days later, I found myself wanting to do the same thing, however, this time a submodule and another file had diverged enough that the patch no longer applied correctly. To get around this I had to:
/.git format-patch -k -1 --stdout | patch -p1 --merge
Manually fix any of the still broken changes, then create a new commit with the changes.
Finally, I’ve also in recent months found myself wanting to create a completely empty commit to kick off a downstream build process… much like you may touch a file to change its timestamp. To do this you can simply run:
git commit --allow-empty -m "Redeploy"
In late 2017 I flew to San Francisco for a very short work trip. I then had one day spare where I headed out with a friend to Muir Woods and the Marin Headlands.
Below are a few photos and videos from the trip.
I’ve recently hit an interesting issue involving Docker containers and compiled C code crashing code with
illegal hardware instruction errors.
In a nutshell the Docker image was built on a server using Jenkins. It has been running fine until the underlying host orchestration software and physical hardware changed.
My solution has been to remove the build of the C code from the
Dockerfile and instead put in inside a script which runs when the container starts.
For my use case this solution will work, however, it will require the C code to be compiled every time the Docker container runs.
Digging a little deeper, it appears that the underlying root issue may be the use of the
march=native flag in the C code’s underlying Makefile.
A few posts on Stack Overflow (in particular, https://stackoverflow.com/questions/54039176/mtune-and-march-when-compiling-in-a-docker-image), suggest that removing this flag may make little difference to the run time of the compiled code. Which, again depending on the use case, may be a good option to try as well to resolve these problems.
I’m in the process of migrating the hosting of this site across to AWS.
So far everything is going smoothly, except for one of the domain alias which redirects here.